Serengeti national Park
PERFECT FOR FAMILIES, GROUPS & OFF-GRID ADVENTURES
ABOUT SERENGETI NATIONAL PARK
The Serengeti National Park established in 1952 in Tanzania is a home to the greatest wildlife spectacle on earth like the great migration of wildebeests. There are three sections in which the park is divided. Among these the popular southern/central part (Seronera Valley) is what the Maasai called the “serengit” meaning the land of endless plains. The region is if filled with acacia trees and a great number of wildlife.
The western corridor is marked by the Grumeti River, and has more forests and dense bush. The north or the Lobo area, meets up with Kenya’s Masai Mara Reserve, is the least visited section. Among all the destinations of the Tanzania Safari Tours, this is the most popular and most visited one.
Serengeti National Park Location
The Serengeti National Park Location spreads from the Mara and Simiyu regions of Northern Tanzania to Southwestern Kenya. Also the distance of the park from Arusha city is 235.1 km.
How To Get There At Serengeti National Park
Your Serengeti Safari to the park starts from the town of Arusha. The best option to get there is by taking a flight to Kilimanjaro International Airport, which is about 46 km away from Arusha.
The most convenient way to get to the Serengeti National Park from Arusha is by taking a small plane to one of the many airstrips in the park. The drive to the park from Arusha is roughly 202 miles or 325 km and will take roughly 8 hours.
Best Time To Visit Serengeti National Park
From late June to October is the best time to visit Serengeti National Park.This is because during this time you will have the best wildlife viewing, including the spectacular wildebeest migration.
The timing of the great Serengeti Migration varies from year to year and your best chance of seeing it is during June and July. Apart from this the wildebeest calving season is from late January to February. For more details about timing, season, climate and temperature, go through our Best Time To Visit Tanzania guide.
Best Things To Do In Serengeti National Park
When you are visiting one of the most exciting destinations of the Tanzania Safari Tours there is definitely so much you can do to have the best time. Here is a list of some of the most thrilling activities in Serengeti:
1.Witness The Great Migration
People from all over the world visit the Serengeti to see The Great Migration for themselves. One must check the Serengeti National Park map to find out where the migration happens as well.
2.Visit The Olduvai Gorge
Olduvai Gorge is a 300-mile long gorge, situated in the midst of the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater. This place is popular for the 2 million-year old fossils that were discovered here.
3.Go On An Air Safari
Serengeti National Park safari is a must visit in Tanzania. Air safaris provide the most stunning view of the park.
4.Visit The Moru Kopjes
For those looking for something to thrill the adventurer in Serengeti should visit the Moru Kopjes, the most interesting rock formation that you will ever see.
5.Experience The Maasai Culture And Way Of Life
Groups of semi-nomadic tribes have lived in Tanzania and Kenya for many years. A few hours at the village will allow you to experience the Maasai way of life in village-like communities known as bomas.
For more details about tips, FAQ’s, and things to do, go through our Tanzania Safari Guide section.
Serengeti National Park Wildlife
The Serengeti National ParkWildlife includes entire Big Five among which the rhino populations are very small due to the large amounts of rhino poaching in all of Africa. There are other animals in the park like the warthog, roan antelope, bushbuck, lesser kudu, oryx, hartebeest, large herds of impala (one of the most successful mammals on earth), Thompson’s and Grant’s gazelle, klipspringer, giraffe, eland, wild wildebeest and many others.
There are various carnivores within the area including the very rare African lion, leopard, striped hyena, spotted hyena, African golden wolf, African wild dogs, honey badger, serval, cheetah and others. The park is a bird watching paradise with over 500 different species of birds, ranging from the red and yellow barbet, very large ostrich, the Ashy starling, the Black crake, Ficher’s lovebird, Hartlaub’sturaco and very small finches.
Interesting Facts About The Serengeti National Park
- Covering5,700 sq miles, (14,763 sq km) the park is larger than Connecticut, with hundreds vehicles driving around.
- Two World Heritage Sites and two Biosphere Reserves have been established within the 30,000 km² region.
- Many writers like Ernest Hemingway or Peter Mattheissen and filmakers like Hugo von Lawick and Alan Root have been inspired by the uniqueness of the ecosystem.
- The most popular aspect of Serengeti is the great migration. Over a million wildebeest and about 200,000 zebras flow south from the northern hills to the southern plains every October and November. They then swirl west and north after the long rains in April, May and June.
Serengeti National Park Fees
The park is under the Tanzania National Park Authority which is responsible for collecting all park dues like entry fees, conservation fees and concession fees. All the park fees are valid for 24 hours if one stays inside the park. The Serengeti National Park Fees is US$ 71 per person and concession fees US$ 59 per person. You can go through our Tanzania National Parks Guide that will help you to compare the fees with other National Parks.
Serengeti National Park Accommodation
- Mawe Luxury Tented Camp: Located in the heart of Serengeti, Mawe Luxury Camp is strategically positioned for close proximity to the wildlife herds and the great migration.
- Serengeti Serena Safari Lodge: At the Serengeti Serena Safari Lodge experience the stone-built, traditionally thatched lodging with exotic interior designs providing an panoramic view across the Serengeti.
- Gnu Migration Camp: These are the best Luxury mobile tented camps which have 8 en-suite tented rooms including family rooms, 8m long by 4m wide, each tent is equipped with all facilities you need.
- Serengeti Tortilis Camp: Take the opportunity to stay at the Tortilis Camp which was named after the flat-topped, umbrella thorn tree, the Acacia Tortilis and provides most cosy and comfortable stay.
- Serengeti Under Canvas:one of the most luxurious mobile tented camps in the Serengeti is Serengeti Under Canvas. You can choose to stay here as well.
If you are looking for accommodation in an area of the park thenthe Kenzan Luxury Mobile Camp is the perfect choice. The semi-permanent mobile camp is strategically located to make sure that guests get a great view of the famous migration.
So are you exciting about visiting serene Serengeti National Park? Get the best Tanzania Travel Advice & don’t wait long and start your tour planning for the most fulfilling trip of your life.
WHERE TO EXPLORE
TANZANIA'S TOP WILDLIFE AREA
Learn about Tanzania’s history, wildlife, and conservation on our Tanzania Destinations page … Greatest concentrations of wild animals, Tanzania is duly famed as a top … the region is incredibly rich in wildlife, though specific experiences. Explore with Gecko Adventure today!