Udzugwa Mountain National Park
ABOUT UDZUGWA MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
Udzungwa is the largest and with the most biodiversity and a chain of a dozen large forest-swathed mountains that rise majestically from the flat coastal scrub of eastern Tanzania. Known collectively as the Eastern Arc Mountains, this archipelago of isolated massifs has also been dubbed the African Galapagos for its treasure trove of endemic plants and animals, most familiarly being the delicate African violet.
Udzungwa Mountains National Park is perhaps Tanzania’s most important sanctuary of terrestrial biodiversity. Udzungwe has many other mammals and maybe safari is not the typical safari game you’d expect of Tanzania National Parks. Is an esoteric safari destination for true nature lovers. Its mountains are fascinating to bird watchers, with at least 400 recorded species, 25 endemic. Six species of primate can also be spotted cavorting in the trees as well.
Udzungwa is best known for its network of hiking trails through its tropical rainforest. Hikers may wish to pay a visit to the startling 170m high Sanje Waterfall or brave the more challenging two-day trek to the top of the Mwanihana Peak for its spectacular views of the park.
Along the way, hikers can expect to see some of the park’s endemic flora and fauna, the most famous of which is the beautiful African violet.
Day Hiking Trails In Udzugwa National Park
- Prince Bernhard Falls (1 km, ½ hr, height gain 30-80m)
- Sonje Waterfall Trail (3 km, 1-2hr, height gain 120m)
- Sanje Waterfall Trail (6 km, 4-5 hr, height gain 450 m)
- Njokamoni Trail (5 km, 4-5 hr, height gain 400m)
- Hidden Valley Trail (14km, 6-8 hr, height gain 1000m)
- Habituated Sanje Mangabey Trek
Overnight Hiking Trails In Udzugwa National Park
- Sanje Waterfall Trails – 2 Days/ 1 night (9 km, height gain 450m)
- Mwanihana Peak – 3 days/ 2 nights (38 km, height gain 1850m)
- Lumemo Trail – 5 days/ 4 nights (65 km
WHERE TO EXPLORE
TANZANIA'S TOP WILDLIFE AREA
Learn about Tanzania’s history, wildlife, and conservation on our Tanzania Destinations page … Greatest concentrations of wild animals, Tanzania is duly famed as a top … the region is incredibly rich in wildlife, though specific experiences. Explore with Gecko Adventure today!