RUBONDO ISLAND NATIONAL PARK
The park boasts for its rich and diverse variety of butterflies and bird life, easily viewable from the lake shore. The rare Sitatunga, an extremely endangered amphibious antelope, can sometimes be viewed escaping from the charging predators by hiding and camouflaging itself in the lake shore marshes.
A visit to Rubondo Island National Park offers visitors a break from game viewing in the tranquil peace of a lake shore setting. Exploring the islands within the park creates an excitement for day trips. Fishing expeditions into Lake Victoria are easily arranged through the major lodges. Rubondo Island National Park is a relaxation from the rigorous safari circuit and a relaxing place from which to explore Lake Victoria.
- A variety of waterbirds , Eurasian migrants and introduced African grey parrots.
- High density of African fish eagles distinctly seen.
- Animal species including Sitatunga, Elephants, Giraffes, Hippos, Bushbucks, Pythons, Crocodiles, Chimpanzees (not fully habituated), Bush pigs and Suni.
- Lake Victoria forms a spectacular sight for visitors with the deepest point in the lake (Irumo) forming part of the park.
- Magnificent view of one of the last remaining representatives of evergreen dense primary lowland Congolese forest with a unique habitat mosaic in the midst of high biodiversity value.
- Beautiful and attractive beaches such as Fly catcher, Mchangani and Michicoco.
- Important gulfs of Irumo and Kamea.
- Clear sighting of both sunrise and sunset
- Cultural sites such as “Ntungamirwe”, “Maji Matakatifu”, “Altare” and “Solo” which explain the life of natives who once stayed in the park
- “Birds Islands”, breeding site for water birds.
- Crocodile Island
WHERE TO EXPLORE
TANZANIA'S TOP WILDLIFE AREA
Learn about Tanzania’s history, wildlife, and conservation on our Tanzania Destinations page … Greatest concentrations of wild animals, Tanzania is duly famed as a top … the region is incredibly rich in wildlife, though specific experiences. Explore with Gecko Adventure today!