8 Days Lemosho Route Kilimanjaro Trek
DAY 1: Arusha or Moshi – Londorossi Park Gate – Mti Mkubwa
Drive from Arusha or Moshi to Londorossi Park Gate then on to the Lemosho Glades (2100m, 3h.). Walk along forest trails to Mti Mkubwa (big tree) campsite, (2750m, 3h.)
DAY 2: Mti Mkubwa – Shira Plateau
The trail steepens and crosses several streams in the giant heather zone. The Shira Ridge is crossed (3600m) to the Shira Plateau, camp by stream. (3500m, 5 h.).
DAY 3: Shira Plateau – Shira Hut
A gentle walk across the plateau leads to Shira Hut camp on moorland meadows by a stream (3840m, 1h30min.). A variety of walks are available on the Plateau making this an excellent acclimatisation day.
DAY 4: Shira Hut – Barranco
A rocky path leads east up towards the Lava Tower. Shortly beyond this, you descend to Barranco campsite (3950m, 4-5h).
DAY 5: Barranco – Karanga Valley
Scramble easily to the top of the Great Barranco and then a traverse over screes and ridges to the Karanga Valley campsite (3h, 4000m.), beneath the icefalls of the Southern Glaciers.
DAY 6: Karanga Valley – Barafu Hut
The trail ascends a ridge to a campsite by the Barafu Hut, an airy location with little vegetation (3h, 4600m.),
DAY 7: Barafu Hut – Stella Point – Uhuru Peak – Mweka Hut
Start just after midnight for the ascent of the screes leading to Stella Point (6h, 5725m.). From here a further 40mins. leads to Uhuru Peak. Descend to the Barafu Hut for a rest and brunch before continuing down to camp at Mweka Hut at 3100m, (11-14h total walking time).
DAY 8: Mweka Hut – Park Gate
A 3-4 hour descent through beautiful forest brings you to the Park Gate.
Option: It is possible to do this route in just 7 days by skipping the acclimatization day.
Included in the Prices:
- — 3 Delicious meals a days, boiled and filtered drinking water while on the mountain.
— All park entrance, camping and rescue fees
- — Warm water for washing to be provided every morning and evening.
- — Oxygen Cylinder – only for emergency
- — English Speaking Guides (Wilderness First Responder certified), cook and porters
- — Staff salaries and fees.
- — Transport to/from national park gates.
- — First aid kit and pulse oximeter.
- — Emergency telephone between the guides and our office.
- — 3 litres of bottled drinking water to be provided on the first day your hike, on the mountain porters will fetch water from the streams to be boiled and filtered for you..
Excluded From the Prices:
- — Prices do not include sleeping bags
- — Gratuities
- — Soda/alcohol unless otherwise noted
- — Health insurance
- — Visa fees
- — International airfare
- — Laundry
- — All Meals and drinks in Moshi town