Selous River Camp is an award-winning safari lodge, set up high overlooking the Rufiji River (and its many hippos) on the border of the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania. The lodge offers a choice of comfortable accommodation and guided safari activities and is the ideal location if you’re looking for an affordable safari holiday in an authentic bush camp.
Your flight to the UNESCO World heritage site of Selous Game Reserve will leave Zanzibar at 0930 am and takes one hour. You will be met at the airstrip in Selous by your Selous River Camp guide who will transfer you to the lodge. En route, you will enjoy your first experience of this incredible and diverse reserve.
After lunch, Sunset cruise on our comfortable river boat, looking at hippos, crocodiles and birds, and enjoying the spectacular sunset over this enormous river. Overnight at Selous River Camp
After your first night in Selous, awake early to a dawn chorus and spectacular views from your room (“banda”). After a quick cup of tea or coffee, head into the reserve as dawn breaks for a full day game drive in a specially modified safari vehicle with a professional guide, in which you should see and learn much about a large number of animals, including all the great favorites – lion, elephant, giraffe, buffalo, zebra – and all the other major species including the now rare African hunting dog. Great variety of bird species. Wonderful scenery, with varied topography: wetlands, dry grassland, light acacia forest and higher ground with long views to far-off mountains.
Packed lunch and time to rest. Your guide will select a location with shade and water nearby to watch animals coming to drink – a place with a clear view all round so that no predator can creep up unseen! Back to the lodge by 6.30 for sunset and dinner when you’re ready. Overnight at Selous River Camp (breakfast, lunch & dinner)
Up early for a walk through the bush and along the riverbank to learn about the local environment. Back after the walk for breakfast, and then departure for Dar Es Salaam or Zanzibar.
PRICE US$ 1199 per person
- Park fees(For non-residents)
- All activities(Unless labeled as optional)
- All accommodation(Unless listed as upgrade)
- A professional driver/guide
- All transportation(Unless labeled as optional)
- All flights during the tour
- All Taxes/VAT
- Meals(As specified in the day-by-day section)
- International flights(From/to home)
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Tips(Tipping guideline US$10.00 pp per day)
- Personal items(Souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees